TEJAS Teacher Training Scholarship
Small World Yoga is committed to expanding growth & leadership opportunities to dedicated yoga students in our community. We recognize & acknowledge that there exists a disproportionate racial representation gap between the yoga student communities that SWY serves and the instructors leading yoga classes. The purpose of this YTT equity scholarship is to empower our black students to become leaders in their community — in our community—in order to bridge the gap of inequality in racial representation. This scholarship is open to passionate, dedicated yoga students with a desire to teach yoga who are age 18+ and self-identify as Black, African-American or descendant of the African Diaspora.
May 28, 2021 – Scholarship Application Deadline
May 29-31, 2021 – Phase 1 application evaluations
June 1-4, 2021- Phase 2 applicant interviews
June 5-6, 2021 – Scholarship awarded
June 12, 2021 – Summer 200-hour training starts
Applicant eligibility criteria
- Self-identify as Black, African-American or descendant of the African Diaspora
- Minimum 18 years of age
- Submitted YTT application
- First time enrolling in a 200-hr YTT
- Resident of the Metro/Greater Nashville area (Davidson Co, Williamson Co, Rutherford Co, Wilson Co, Sumner Co)
Scholarship recipient requirements/ expectations
- Attend 1 mentor meeting following the training (to be scheduled one-on-one with someone from SWY leadership).
- Required to attend all training dates
Application Questions to answer in the Application
(150 words maximum for each question)
- In your own words, what does yoga mean to you?
- Who or what inspires you to want to teach yoga?
- How long have you been practicing yoga? Where do you practice yoga (studios, community spaces, at home)?
- What type/ style of yoga do you enjoy practicing (vinyasa, hot-26, power, yin, restorative, etc)?
- What would be your ideal teaching situation? Where do you want to teach & who do you want to be able reach as a yoga teacher?
- Please read Small World Yoga’s Mission, Vision & Values here. What resonates with you about SWY’s mission, vision & values, and why?
- How did you find out about this scholarship?